Thefrom is a unique on-camera light featuring Auto Intelligent Bounce technology. This function measures the room you are working in, along with the set focus distance, in order to automatically tilt and rotate the flash head to produce even, diffuse, and clean bounce flash results. This function can be used in full-auto mode, where the flash automatically determines all settings, or in semi-auto mode, where you can set the angle of the flash and it will automatically rotate depending on the specific camera position or orientation in use.
Beyond its distinct automated capabilities, the 470EX-AI is also distinguished by its apt flash specs, including E-TTL/E-TTL II compatibility, a guide number of 154′ at ISO 100 and 105mm, a zoom head with coverage from 24-105mm, and a pull-out diffuser to widen this coverage to 14mm. Manual stepless adjustment over bounce is possible with a tilting range up to 120° along with +/- 180° rotation, and off-camera triggering is possible using the optical slave mode.
- Automatically taking measurements of the room in conjunction with the set focus distance, Auto Intelligent Bounce (AI.B) automatically tilts and rotates the flash head in order to bounce the light and produce a diffuse and even quality of light
- AI.B full-auto mode automatically adjusts the flash angle and rotation by measuring the distance to the closest wall or ceiling along with the subject distance. AI.B semi-auto mode allows you to set the bounce angle yourself and then will automatically rotate the flash head as the camera is moved or the shooting orientation is changed
- Guide number of 154′ (47m) at 105mm and ISO 100
- Flash head offers 0 to 120° of tilt along with +/-180° of rotation for full bounce flash capabilities
- Zoom head range of 24-105mm and a wide panel can be slid into place for coverage up to 14mm
- Exposure compensation of ±3 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 step increments
- Optical receiver mode for off-camera triggering
- LCD panel on rear for viewing and changing settings
- AF assist beam benefits focusing performance in low light
- Accepts four AA batteries as its power source
- Metal locking foot
Please note: EOS cameras released up to the first half of 2014 do not support AI.B full-auto shooting (Manual or semi-auto modes are working normally)