The Speedmaster L-858D Light Meter from Sekonic comes packed with a variety of upgraded features and capabilities that make it an almost essential tool for a working professional. It is able to take incident and reflected light readings of both flash and ambient light with an expanded measuring range of -5 to 22.9 EV at ISO 100, or within an illuminance range of 0.1 to 2,000,000 lux. Users will also find it intuitive and easy-to-use thanks to the use of a 2.7″ color touchscreen LCD and an all-weather design.
The meter can use either a 270° rotating and collapsible lumisphere or an integrated 1° spot viewfinder to account for varying needs of the user. Also, it offers an extensive range of cinema and video settings as well as the unique ability to measure flash duration and to take readings when using high-speed sync flash. The L-858D is equipped with a variety of other functions as well, including memory recall, a Flash Analyzing Function, and extended ranges on nearly every setting. Additionally, through the use of optional modules, users can add radio triggering support for PocketWizard and Elinchrom/Phottix systems.
- Lumisphere receptor head rotates 90° right and 180° left and retracts for conversion to a flat diffuser.
- Integrated 1° spot viewfinder with full information display provides a precise method of measuring specific parts of a scene.
- Ability to measure flash duration within a range of 1/40 to 1/55,500 second using t0.1 to t0.9 settings.
- Improved sensitivity of the L-858D allows it to record a reading at just 0.1 lux illuminance as well as use expanded range of -5 to 22.9 EV for incident readings and -1 to 22.4 EV for reflected light. Also, it features an extended ISO range of ISO 3 to ISO 13,107,200 with an option available for ISO 850.
- Optional radio modules are available for PocketWizard and Elinchrom/Phottix systems for advanced wireless triggering and remote flash control.
- High-Speed Sync support allows photographers to accurately take readings while using HSS with their flashes and cameras.
- Flash Analyzing Function measure ambient and flash simultaneously to provide a percentage of flash in the final exposure. Users can then adjust the mix as the display shows camera settings and the relationship between the flash and ambient light in your exposure.
- Users can determine the dynamic range of their camera using optional targets by taking bracketed shots with their measurement data and they using the Sekonic Data Transfer Software to graph and then save the information to the meter.
- Expanded shutter speed ranges now allow for readings between 1/64,000 second to 30 minutes with ambient light and 1/16,000 second to 30 minutes for flash.
- A comprehensive set of cinema modes allows for settings of 1-1000 fps as well as shutter angles of 1-358°. Twenty user determined settings are also available that provide more precise options of 0.001-360° shutter angles and 0.001-99,999.999 fps.
- 2.7″ color touchscreen LCD provides a fast and intuitive method for viewing and changing settings.
- Micro-USB port can be used for firmware updates, applying custom settings, and to use exposure profiling.
- The L-858D features an all-weather construction that is dust and splash proof (JIS Class 4).