Thefrom improves the existing RX100 V by increasing the buffer size to 233 images, reducing display lag time in the electronic viewfinder, and adding several small features over other aspects of the camera. With the 20.1MP 1″ Exmor RS BSI CMOS sensor, the RX100 VA can output detailed images at sensitivities up to ISO 12800. The Fast Hybrid AF system has 315 focal-plane phase-detection points that cover 65% of the image area of the sensor and can achieve focus in as little as 0.05 seconds. That autofocus system is also capable of tracking subjects across the frame, even while shooting at high speeds. Sony’s BIONZ X processor enables continuous shooting up to 24 fps with the aforementioned buffer size of 233 JPEG images and improved High Frame Rate recording times.
Like the RX100 V, the RX100 VA can shoot HD video at 960 fps in High Frame Rate Mode and UHD 4K video at 30/24 fps. But a new feature of the RX100 VA is dual video recording, where the camera simultaneously records two video files at once. Also carried over from the RX100 V is Gamma Display Assist, which provides a more contrasty image while using a flat S-Log2 gamma, and the Photo Capture mode for pulling 8.29MP stills from your movies.
The RX100 VA keeps the same physical design as the RX100 V to keep compatibility with all accessories. A Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens still graces the front of the camera with an equivalent zoom range of 24-70mm and a fast f/1.8-2.8 maximum aperture that provides incredible flexibility in a wide range of shooting scenarios. A pop-up 0.39″ 2.36m-dot OLED Tru-Finder EVF and 3.0″ 1.23m-dot tilting LCD give you crystal clear previews of what you’re shooting. The RX100 VA also keeps the same lens control ring, built-in ND filter, and customizable buttons as its predecessor. It also has Wi-Fi and NFC capabilities for connecting to a smartphone.
- 20.1MP 1″ Exmor RS CMOS Sensor & BIONZ X Image Processor
- Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Lens with a 24-70mm f/1.8-2.8 equivalent zoom range
- Fast Hybrid AF System with 315 Phase-Detection Points
- UHD 4K Video Recording
- High Frame Rate and Slow Motion Shooting
- Pop-up 0.39″ XGA OLED electronic viewfinder offers a resolution of 2.36m dots for crisp, clear imagery. The EVF also uses a Zeiss T* coating to ensure clarity from corner to corner.
- The rear 3.0″ Xtra Fine LCD screen can tilt upwards 180° and downwards 45° for shooting at different angles or for composing the perfect selfie. The screen sports a resolution of about 1.23m dots and WhiteMagic technology has been applied to the LCD’s design to increase effective brightness for easier viewing in bright lighting.
- A manual control ring surrounds the lens and features a smooth, click-less design for quick and quiet changing of settings. The ring can be assigned to control a variety of features, at different values, such as zoom, aperture, and Picture Effects.
- Custom button and other programmable buttons can be set to one of over 40 functions for quick access to commonly used settings.
- A built-in 3-stop neutral density (ND) filter is available to enable working in bright light with wider aperture settings.
- Pop-up flash will help illuminate subjects in dimly-lit scenes.
- A redesigned menu makes flipping through settings easier.
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables instant transferring of imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices, with no complex set-up required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and, using Smart Remote Control, remotely control the camera’s shutter release. Additionally, the RX100 VA can now connect to a smartphone using a QR code for faster access.